Magazine Cover Review

     Magazines can be seen just about anywhere. The most prevalent place to find them is in the checkout line at a grocery store. They are usually on racks or above the platform where groceries go or checkout line. My initial impression of magazines is not negative or positive. I enjoy looking at the front page of magazines. It is fun to see what's going on in pop culture within a short time span. I don’t really enjoy reading because its time consuming and I have to pay attention to what I'm reading to effectively read. “The magazine-reading future, in other words, will be bite-sized. The narrative will surrender to the newsflash. Image will subsume the written word. It is already happening. It can't be stopped.” This explains exactly what I was talking about. I will read something if it is short and I can capture the essence of phrase and get the big idea. 

    The cover image on the very front page is what makes someone pick up a magazine or flip to the next magazine. If there is something like a GQ magazine with person like Travis Scott, I will be more likely to pick up the magazine. Now if it has a cover image of pumpkins such as Better Homes and Gardens, I will most likely skip to another magazine. Arts and crafty types of magazines don’t catch my eye and aren't appealing to me. Some people may feel the opposite way that I do. It is all based on preference. The next item that will determine if I pick up a magazine is the feature articles. The feature articles can be found on the cover page. They are little captions that tells the reader what the title is. For example, on the Rolling Stone magazine one of the feature articles was titled “Lil Baby’s Uprising”. I am a fan of Lil Baby and this caught my eye. “Most magazines now resemble movie posters more closely than they do the dry pages of a book. They are filled with color, oversized headlines, graphics, photos, and pull quotes.” An example of this can be seen on the Cosmopolitan magazine. The front page had the quote “Wear a damn mask!”. This pull quote catches people's eyes who feel the same. The cover image of the magazine was of a female who was very sassy and was wearing purple clothing. There was pink text everywhere and the word “sexy” was written in a big pink font. It was supposed to catch the readers' eye. Some magazines just have the reader keep coming back. For instance, in the Oprah magazine, her whole audience is middle aged women. Oprah is known for spreading positivity. On her magazine, it was very cheerfulorange, and filled with nature. We caught good and positive vibes from this cover image. People who need a boost and some encouragement may continue to buy her magazine. She keeps racking up those dollars and cultivating brand loyalty.

    I might choose to do a magazine or a movie. I'm leaning more towards the magazine because it involves words rather than videos. 

Comments